What is a Young Carer
BCP Council criteria states a Young Carer must:
• be resident in BCP and under 18 years of age
• have a caring role for a significant adult in their family. The significant adult must have a chronic mental or physical illness or disability (including sensory loss)
• be in a situation where there is no other significant adult in the home who is physically and mentally able to provide the main caring role
• undertake care and tasks for this significant adult which are over and above what would normally be expected of a young person, e.g. helping with their personal care, washing, dressing, looking after siblings, helping with medication.
The role of caring may be impacting on the young person’s emotional and/or physical health, education or social development. This means that sibling carers and children of substance misusing parents will need to be given clear information on young carer support available from partners and other agencies.
There are also a range of charities in the local area who can offer support to Young Carers
What is The BCP Young Carers Offer?
Being a young carer can affect young people differently and the service has a range of face to face and on-line support options available to meet the individual needs of that young carer. This support could be directly from the BCP Service or via charities and partner organisations offering support to young carers. Some examples of the support that could be offered are:
- Signposting to services that provide for young carers e.g. groups, arts or sports activities, residentials, the young carers celebration event, counselling or financial support for a hobby or interest.
- Someone to listen to the young carer and offer them support.
- Specific activities and groups where young carers can meet other children and young people in a relaxed environment.
How do I make a request for young carers support?
Young people, families and professionals can all make contact with the BCP Young Carers Service to request a young carer’s assessment. They can also get information on the BCP Young Carers Offer as well as the offer from a number of local and national charities who also provide services for young carers.
Please contact the Children’s First Response Hub on: